Capital Gains Tax Planning
The level of tax payable on gains arising on the sale of capital assets e.g. shares, financial investments, property, business assets – has risen significantly to a top rate of 28% for higher rate tax payers. Our capital gains tax (CGT) planning service will help you maximise returns on your capital and minimise tax payable by ensuring that all available reliefs are utilised and planned for.
Entrepreneurs’ Relief Tax Planning
In particular, for business owners, we offer a special capital gains tax planning service designed to maximise the opportunity to benefit from a 10% rate of CGT on the disposal of business assets by utilising entrepreneurs’ relief. This applies for gains up to a maximum value of £10,000,000 and may not require an entire business sale. As entrepreneurs’ relief is based on lifetime gains, we also consider how family members might, through tax planning, also utilise their availability to the relief.
Key questions you should ask to minimise your capital
gains tax bill
Before disposing of an asset (and in certain circumstances before purchasing an asset) it is important that you consider your options:
- How is the asset to be owned?
- How can you structure the transaction to ensure you can take advantage of all available tax reliefs?
- Can you transfer ownership of the asset prior to a disposal to maximise use of annual exemptions?
- When is the optimum time to make the disposal or acquisition?
- Do your particular circumstances afford any tax planning opportunities?
For more information on the capital gains tax planning services offered by Robert James Partnership, please contact Lesley Stalker - [email protected] or call us on 0870 22 55 220.
We provide a free initial consultation on a no obligation basis.